'Seven Kings most probably comes from the Saxon "seofecingas" meaning the settlement of Seofeca's people. The earliest known recordings of the name Seven Kings is in approx 1285AD. The name Seven Kings Water (which rises near Hog Hill) first appeared in 1609. This stream becomes Loxford water before joining the Roding.
The alternative is the legend of the Seven Kings, the name Seven Kings contains both legend and dream. The legend is that in Saxon times seven kings met at a cool, clear stream in the forest which covered the area. Out for a day's hunting, the 'kings', or regional overlords, let their horses drink and then moved on, leaving the name Seven Kings behind them.
The dream of Mr A Cameron Corbett, who played a significant part in the development of Ilford, was to build a people's suburb. Following years of commitment to providing top-quality houses at prices ordinary working people could afford, Mr Cameron Corbett was made the first Baron Rowallen.
When Corbett's dream was realised in bricks and mortar, some 10,000 people had moved into the district's new houses. Corbett also encouraged the building of a railway station to serve the area, guaranteeing that the Great Eastern Railway would take £10,000 in season tickets in the first five years after Seven Kings station was opened'